After five days in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, I have discovered:
10. I like my grits with cream and butter.
9. People will happily spend hours begging shamelessly for beer coozies, boas, plastic cups, bags of chips, furry harpoons, and plastic beads.
8. If Anderson Cooper and Kelly Ripa weren’t already BFFs, they are now.
7. Larger-than-life papier mache Michael Jacksons and Edgar Allen Poes really don’t become any less extraordinary the more you see them.
6. A liberal outdoor open container policy means that even when it rains on your parade, the party continues for hours as though it were 80 and sunny.
5. Despite the madness in the streets, airport employees and your fellow travelers will stare at you funny if you are still drunk and wearing beads or if you are hauling krewe posters and big yellow bags of loot through the terminal.
4. A vibrant subculture surrounds daiquiris.
3. I care deeply about hand-decorated coconuts and high heels that don’t come in pairs. And I am not the only one.
2. A Grenade is not a wartime device but rather a tropical drink. However, it is just as destructive.
1. Your Mardi Gras happiness is directly correlated with the amount of loot you give away to others.
Watch out for more Mardi Gras recaps to come!
–Tara for TKGO